An expert webinar on Portfolio Thinking in Teacher Education
The ‘Learning Journey’ is a lovely term to describe the metamorphosis that our pre-service teachers undergo as they transform from being a student to becoming a teacher. There are obvious and powerful alignments between this portfolio approach to teaching and learning, and teacher education.
It is important, however, that we ensure that this process is not incidental and is captured through purposeful and systematic collection and reflection. This deliberate practice, sometimes referred to as ‘portfolio thinking’, enables the pre-service teacher to recognise, value and celebrate his or her growth along their own learning journey.
Incorporating authentic examples of practice and facilitated discussion, the purpose of this webinar is to explore the use of portfolios and portfolio thinking in Teacher Education. Invited presenters from four universities will showcase examples that:
- Use portfolio tasks to capture learning experiences and showcase new understanding.
- Scaffold learners to build professional skills such as teacher voice, writing, reflection, planning etc.
- Map professional standards across the course and make this process explicit for students through intentional activity.
- Ensure that placement is optimised through before-during-after record keeping and reflection.
- Reflect on simulated teaching experiences to enhance teaching and classroom management skills.
The webinar will also facilitate discussion about some of the issues, challenges and benefits of engaging with portfolio thinking in teacher education.